Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Making money on my brain now, instead of 'caine now

So I just got a memo from my school stating that Harvard announced over the weekend that they're giving free tuition, room and board, books, etc, to families with income under $40,000 a year. One article said that students will still be expected to meet some self-help requirements via grants and such, but still- that's awesome. Of course, the students will still have to meet Harvard's rigorous admissions requirements, but it's incredible to me that I would have had a real shot at Harvard. I didn't apply because I knew that I could never afford the costs... this gives hope to some of my students in the same position I was in.

I hope that other schools, particularly those with huge endowments (i.e. most of the Ivy league schools which are so far out of reach for the vast majority of the population no matter how "bright" they are) follow suit.

1 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Blogger Darlaing said...

yeah, where were these programs, including Whitworth's Act VI, 5 years ago?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home