Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Monday, March 06, 2006

Tonight's the night the world begins again

[Better Days, Goo Goo Dolls]

Since I seem to be in list mode... two things:

#1- Gonzaga.

I couldn't write this until the game was over. We won. Barely, but we fought it out. Good thing I am 24 and not 54 because this was the cardiac arrest inducing type of game. There's a lot to say, but I just have to give major props to Ammo (Adam Morrison) because he's honestly a very unselfish player. Tonight I was impressed with his ability to see the floor, and pass off the ball. The fact is, he never shies away from the fact that he wants to be the one with the ball in his hands for that crucial shot. However, he cares far more about seeing his team win than being a hero. So props to him for that.

#2- Teaching.

Today was frustrating. It was a raining and dreary outside (think: Eeyore). I have learned, the hard way, that rainy days = my students want to do NOTHING. They sit there and stare at me. I try to do exciting activities, bring history alive, and they just stare. It's torture, for me and them, I am sure. So today was like that. Then I got this from a parent:

"I think you're an awesome teacher and I want you to know, as parents, we know that you go above and beyond as a rule, rather than an exception... I have a keen appreciation for someone who actually teaches day after day hundreds of students who may or may not want to be in a classroom and who, may or may not have a family at home that cares."

Wow. All I could tell her was thank you, and how incredibly humbled I was. Amazing how a dreary day can burst with sunshine just like that.

Just like that.

1 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Darlaing said...

You ARE a great teacher and if I had to go back to H.S. I'd hope you were one of my teachers. I'm glad a parent took the time to tell you so.

P.S. Ditto on Crash!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home