Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine

[Mr. Brightside, the Killers]

So it's been awhile. There's not really a ton to say on the current events front. Bec and I booked our tickets to Boston for Spring Break, which is pretty thrilling. Now I am pretty much trying not to really think about it so that it won't feel like a lifetime away. That said, there are only 30 student days until Spring Break. Then it's only like 8 full weeks until school's out. Then it's summer, glorious summer!!

I have recently begun listening to The Beatles. I always thought they were too old hat for me. Plus, their sheer popularity tends to be a turn-off for me. Everyone thinks The Beatles are "their" band. I actually had one die-hard fan essentially imply that my lack of knowledge about them should disqualify me from listening to them. I couldn't care less, honestly, because music is the one thing that is extremely personal and it's so vast that no one can really define anyone else's music taste. TV is limited to what's on at the time, but with music a simple internet connection opens up worlds of music to one's fingertips. Genre doesn't matter. Mass market appeal is meaningless.

That's why my music ranges from Jeremy Camp to The Temptations, Pearl Jam to Tim McGraw, 3 Doors Down to Lifehouse, and Better than Ezra to John Mayer. Throw in some Beatles, the Forrest Gump Soundtrack, 80's hits, and you have a glimpse into Tami's Musical Wonderland. No one can tell me who to like, whether a song is good or not, whether a song is too "pop"-ish. Whatever anyone says or thinks doesn't matter because my music is my own. And that's that.


I just hope I marry someone with equal passion for artists I also enjoy, or someone that just doesn't care and lets me control the radio. Or, in my case, digital device streaming through the speakers in the car, computer, house stereo, etc. But it's attractive when someone is into music, to me, so I hope he's just got really good taste according to my standards, which flies in the face of all I said about music being so personal and individual. But in marriage two become one, right? So I am justified in my justification :)

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Darlaing said...

I'm so jealous you are going to BOSTON! That's like the number one American city on my to-visit list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home