Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Friday, May 05, 2006

Someone who loves you despite your faults

[Must Be Nice, Lyfe Jennings]

Tonight I missed the bus to my softball game.

I got caught up in work and totally forgot.

Praise God that I did.

Tonight the high school had its first annual Poetry Slam. Students performed their works.

Hearts. Minds. Souls. On display.

Of the 10 performers, I have/had 7 in my classroom. These are my kids.

We were supposed to go by the Chicago slam rules- cheering and such.

I could only clap.

Clap and cry.

They dared to be real. No room for faux under the spotlight.

I've never been more proud. Never.

First prize was a laptop.

You've never seen someone more excited. Never.

She's in eighth grade. Has two children. Is written off as lost. Finished. Done.

She never dreamed of her own laptop. Never.

These are my kids.

Mine.

Mine.



And I will fight for them.

1 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Darlaing said...

8th grade with two kids?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home