Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Letting of my pain and all my fears

[Letting Go, Jeremy Camp]

So the roomies (Bec, Jen, and Liz) and I just watched Never Been Kissed. You know, dorky dweeby Drew Barrymore goes back to high school and falls in love with her teacher, Michael Vartan.

If ever I question maturing in the last 10 or so years (Frick. I just realized that ten years ago I was graduating eighth grade and gearing up to start high school. Kill me now.) I need only to remember my reaction to the movie today. Ok, so I don't question whether I've grown up since I was 14, but... it sounded nice to say.

I digress... so, I realized about 20 minutes into the movie that my feelings about the Josie/teacher relationship are WAAAAAAYYYYYYY different. When I first saw the movie as a Junior in high school I was, 1) in love with Mr. Coulson, and 2) caught up in how beautiful and romantic the progressing relationship was.

Watching the movie today as a teacher? I was FUH-REAKED out. I understand the whole "Well, she's actually 25 and he sees her soul and is trying to not let himself fall for her...' argument, but nonetheless- to the best of his knowledge, she's 17 and his student. End of story. I just can't get over the fact that he's her teacher, no matter how "soul connected" they are. Watching it as a teacher I was, 1) ok, still sort of in love with Mr. Coulson, but 2) totally ill over the WRONG WRONG WRONGNESS of the progressing relationship.

I pointed out how skeeved out I was and everytime there were scenes with Coulson giving Josie "that look" all four of us would audibly show our disgust. It's still a really cute movie but I don't think it'll ever be the same for me again.

Ok... people are over from the boys' house (plus others) upstairs for dinner so I should leave my cave of a room and be social- my laptop's still not fixed, so to access the net I have to use my desktop. It's a 2 year old Dell, yet it feels so antiquated. Regardless of it's age, it removes me from our guests, so... upstairs I go. But I just had to share my story with y'all. Feel free to leave your thoughts.

1 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Darlaing said...

antiquated huh? SomeBODY's been reading the dictionary. Aren't we smartsy farsty clever?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home