Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Laying all these questions down- You've answered what I need

[Restored, Jeremy Camp]

Today as I was driving home I was thinking three things:

1) I love the rain

2) I hate it when people go FORTY MILES PER HOUR IN A FIFTY-FIVE ZONE (don't worry- I passed them and there was no road rage involved. Though I did pass on the double yellow line. But I know my rural Warr*en County roads puh-retty darn well.)

3) I need to stop talking/writing/thinking about love and marriage. There's a lot more to life and someday I will wish I was single, 24, and out to conquer the world again.

So then I got home, popped onto someone's blog (some guy that's in the middle of major roommate drama. Fun to read.) and he had a site posted that features a photo gallery from Chernobyl. Today is the 20 year anniversary. As I looked through the photos it took me back to last Tuesday when I was at the Holocaust Museum in DC. Heavy stuff. Take the time to pause and go through this. Remember the suffering that exists in our world:

http://www.pixelpress.org/chernobyl/index.html

I was perusing through old entries of mine and one started with stuff about how I cried and was in absolute shock... it was about Gonzaga losing in the Sweet 16. Granted, I do love them... but come on. Today I shared with my kids a few snippets of the horrors of the Holocaust, like in The Sunflower where the German recounts his story of burning down the building with the Jews inside, and then the soldiers shooting anyone that tried to escape through a window. The people whose job was to cut the gold out of victims' teeth and to search body cavities for any valuables. Those are only two examples of the thousands of images I have in my head after taking my Holocaust and Genocide class at Whitworth.

So to cry and lie in my bed in grief over basketball is absolutely ridiculous in comparison. Sometimes I suck. Nonetheless... hopefully we'll see less lameness and more focus in my entries. And my thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home