Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Saturday, July 01, 2006

My hands release you

[Run, baby, Run, Jason Upton]

I can't stop listening to this song. You can buy it on iTunes. Do. It. Now.

In other news... I went to NBC.com earlier and watched "Lazy Sunday". Still abso-freaking-lutely hilarious. Oh, so funny.

Today I watched Lord of War. What a tragically great movie. Watch it if you've never seen it. It's based on real facts. I almost cried at the end when it said that the largest munitions dealers in the world- the U.S., U.K., Russia, China, and France- are also the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council. I mean, I knew that about the UN (the permanent security council members were the five victorious "free" world powers after WWII), but just the connection between "freedom" and arming the poor nations, like Africa, makes me literally feel like I might throw up. This world breaks my heart. My response is come quickly, Lord Jesus.

Today I discovered radio and podcasts on iTunes. I just hadn't really messed with it all before, I guess. My first podcast subscription? Homestarrunner :) I think I really do need to save up and hold out for the 60 gig iPod. I just remind myself of how good it will feel to finally get it, after saving so diligently for... however long it will take. I could go buy one tomorrow but I've worked darn hard to get a savings! I plan to keep making it larger and larger.

I remember once when I went to the bank and someone had left their receipt in the little slot. I took it to crumple up and toss in the trash receptacle in my car, but not before noticing that they had circa twenty grand in their checking account. Twenty. Thousand. Dollars. But... I plan, Lord willing, to have a savings like that. I live by a pretty careful budget now, and am consistently saving. It feels really good, to be honest. I actually feel way better about this than I felt when I had credit cards and went into stores and just bought pretty much whatever I wanted. Then I only had lots of crap and little self-respect. Now I have the inner peace that comes from self-control.

It's nice :)

Closing thoughts- Dani California by Red Hot Chili Peppers is a great song. Check that one out, too.

And, random... RHCP sing about California a lot. Under the Bridge (all about the "City of Angels", aka Los Angeles), Californication, and now Dani California all jump to mind right away.

Interesting.

I personally think California kind of sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home