Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me

[No Scrubs, TLC]

I've said it once, but I'll say it again- I love ESPN :)

I'm pretty sure that 9 times out of 10, if you turn my TV on it will be already on ESPN. I love SportsCenter, PTI, Around the Horn... love it! My favorite thing lately has been a short series called "My Wish" in which ESPN teamed up with Disney and professional athletes to grant the wishes of sick children. Most of these children have diseases that have nearly taken their lives-- and for some of them their illnesses still may kill them (heart defects, cancer, sickle cell, etc). These are such sweet, innocent kids that deserve so much. I get teary-eyed every single time one of these kids get their wish.

Speaking of... I feel a little weird sharing this, but something kind of crazy happened to me yesterday. I was sick (I'm still not feeling 100%) and watching randomosity on... what else?... ESPN, when a movie trailer came on. It's called World Trade Center by Oliver Stone. I suppose five years is enough time now that different movies and such will start coming out.

Anyway, the weird part is that I was watching this movie trailer and all of a sudden my body was racked with sobs. Just sixty seconds into a TRAILER about September 11th and I lost it. I know it's weird. I really don't know where it came from. I still can't decide how I feel about it. It does appear to be a tribute to courage and bravery of real men as opposed to just a movie trying to play our emotions, but still. I'm torn. That said, I will probably see it, though maybe not in the theater.

I have the trailer here... let me know what you think.





2 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Darlaing said...

Tami I don't believe you cry about those sick kids or the WTC. You lie. You have no tears for other people, so stop trying to make yourself look good. :)

Yeah one of the cool things about the WTC movie is that during the rescue scenes, all of the extras in the background are actual firemen and police officers who were there that day and risked their lives searching for people. Pretty cool huh? Adds a whole new dimention of emotion, though you wouldn't know anything about that.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Tam said...

lol... You are such a punk :)

That's cool to know. This movie is going to make me sob... I know that I will not be able to stop thinking about the real people and just the emotions of that day, of our nation, etc. I get teary eyed just thinking about the first football game played after 9/11, and the spirit of unity that brought everyone together.

I remember, for the first time in my life, actually pulling for the NY Yankees because they played in the World Series that year and I realized that it would mean so much to NYC- and the nation. They lost though, and... well, I hate the Yankees so it wasn't the end of the world ;)

I remember that day, even the unity on our college campus, the classes where professors said, "We're going to pray. Stay if you'd like, go if you'd like, but we're here to pray." What stands out the most about that day was gathering with my church family and just praying for a few hours- for our nation, for the people there, families, the government, everything.

It's such a personal thing, you know? So this movie will feel like it's about all of us, not just those men who were there.

Anyway... I don't know what I'm talking about since the feelings of others is something that I could care less about ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home