Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Thursday, May 11, 2006

I can see you- your brown skin shining in the sun

[The Boys of Summer, Don Henley]

I am so excited.

There's a local education fund that offers minigrants to teachers who apply. As aforementioned in my previous entry I spent most of my day writing my grant. I had planned to do a project on the Holocaust- in part because I am so passionate about educating my kids about it, and in part because I know so much about it.

I don't really know why, but Africa has crept into my conscience. Since I spent a summer in China my heart has been primarily on that people group. Plus, it seems that everyone thinks of Africa when they think of places that need aid and missions. That's a huge turn-off for me- I never want to just do what everyone else is in to.

Honestly, I think my interest in Africa began to grow when I came here to NC, where 90% of my students are of African-American descent. Once I realized that they know almost nothing about what's happening there right now- famine, war, AIDS, extreme poverty- my heart began to soften more and more to Africa. Also, the book Speak Rwanda really made an impact on me in college, and watching Hotel Rwanda a few months back really brought a lot of my emotions/dealings with the Rwandan genocide back to the surface. This paired with the current situations in places like Uganda and Sudan has had my mind on Africa.

So today when I was finally settling down to write my grant I realized that, while the Holocaust is certainly a worthy topic of study, I really want to do something that would hit closer to home for my kids. I've had multiple frustrating conversations where I have tried to help my kids understand the poverty and suffering that exist in the world and they simply don't get it. (In case you don't remember, I came to the conclusion that compassion cannot be taught- it can only be learned. It's in this entry.) I've been considering sponsoring a child through an organization I recently discovered called International Children's Network. Their mission is solid, and they seem to have finances based on integrity.

I got the idea to create a project called "Giving Hope A Name". I would sponsor a child, and my students would be able write letters to him/her, and when he/she writes us all of my students could share in it. Then we would study the causes and effects of poverty, hunger, war, and AIDS (P-H-W-AIDS) in Africa. After we study these in class, the students would choose from a list of African countries and, in teams, create a PowerPoint presentation on P-H-W-AIDS in their country. They also would need to research non-profit organizations that are providing aid directly to the people to address these issues in that country and choose one that they think is doing a commendable job.

Students would, in addition to their team presentations, keep a journal about how they personally are affected by what they learn (when I teach about the issues facing Africa I will use a lot of videos, webquests, and virtual tours so they can actually see the faces of those affected, in addition to their connection to our sponsored student). There would be an option to post these thoughts in a blog, which would help integrate use of technology.

Back to the presentations- we would have them in class, and we would invite other staff, the administration, and the Warr*en Education Fund (the group that provides the minigrants) to assess them using a rubric. Then, the scores of all who viewed the presentations (including the other students) would be used to determine the best two presentations per class.

The best 6 (I have three classes) would then prepare for an evening called "Giving Hope A Name". We would have a few practices, and then a dress rehearsal in which the local Board of Education (aka school board) would be invited to see the presentations and offer any insights/suggestions/feedback. Then the actual event would be open to the community. Each class would be given a $50 marketing budget to find ways to creatively advertise the night.

At the "Giving Hope A Name" night judges (staff, perhaps a parent or two, etc.) would be there to use the rubric again to choose the best three presentations. These three teams would receive $100 each to donate to their aid organization.

So that's my idea. That's what I wrote out all day (in even more detail, if you can imagine that). I really hope they approve, because I get so excited just thinking about it.

Also, I did talk to my student that wants to have a baby today. She has it rough. Please pray for her... she listened, but didn't necessarily see the light. She's on birth control- and is having sex- so pray for her to be wise, and to seek Christ. She really needs to know she's loved, and only the pure and unconditional love of Jesus Christ will meet the deep needs and desires of her heart.

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should totally sponsor a child, whether or not your minigrant gets approved! (This is Colleen from TFA) I've done it since HS and I really like it. It is rewarding. I give a lot to charities anyway, but this is one of my favorites b/c it feels so personal. I do ICN, and I really like them. After the Asian tsunami they were very proactive in helping people locate "their" child and make sure he/she was OK. I think they might have since pulled out of those countries, though I am not sure . . .
That is good that you talked to that girl. Did she continue to say she wanted a baby? That poor child. (Both her and the baby) At least she is on birth control, though it is so easy to stop taking that. Have a good weekend!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Tam said...

I sponsored a child in high school through Compassion International, but his dad got a job and they were no longer eligibile (he was from Guatemala). Then I requested a new child but they messed stuff up; I can't remember the details because they're all so fuzzy now. But I've actually been thinking about sponsoring a child for about 6 months, but I just hadn't acted on it- and now I know why!

I really look forward to being out of debt so I can use money for things like sponsoring children and visiting them in person. One reason I love being a teacher is that in the summers I can go do short-term missions. It's really important to me that my own children someday get to go on mission trips (preferably as a family starting when they're young, so whoever I marry has to have a similar heart! But I trust that God wouldn't put this desire in my heart and then have "the one" be a guy who doesn't care about missions) because I want them to be passionate about serving the poor, the orphans, the widows, etc. Plus, my three closest friends from college (Sharon, Shiona, and Rachael) all believe they're called to lifetime missions overseas, so I would be able to go join with them wherever they are.

I actually struggled in college with being the only one of all of my friends that didn't feel called to long-term missions. But I really feel that my mission field is here in the public schools of the United States. And God is welcome to change the agendga, but for this time this is where He has me and I love what I do.

As for my student, she's just convinced that her mom would support her and that someone would finally love her. She doesn't think anyone would care if she's gone, so she wants someone to need her. It's heartbreaking. But I explained to her that I love and support her, so if she's just looking for one person (as she said she is) then I'll be that one. Plus, I explained to her that if she really loves her future child she'll wait until she is in a position to offer them a better life, because 90% of teen mothers never get out of poverty. She heard that, but didn't necessarily decide that she WON'T try to have a baby. It's heavy stuff, bu this is exactly why I am here to do what I do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home