Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Monday, May 15, 2006

I think of the things that I wish I had said when you were still around

[When the Lights Go Down, Faith Hill]

Well, thankfully the fire alarm only went off once :) And... it's 3p.m. which means Monday's all but over! Which means... only 18 days left. Man. I can hardly believe it.

About the fire alarm- so, I am pretty sure some kid decided to pull it so that class (which starts at 8) would be "pushed back". After we'd been back for about 10 minutes, the receptionist came over the intercom and said, "Please be reminded that they are working on the fire alarms today, so do not leave if the alarms go off." [Click... and then buzz...] "Please do not leave if the alarms go off unless we tell you to."

Let's just tear this one apart, shall we?

Please be reminded...

Uh, reminded? Did I miss that memo? Apparently.

...that they...

They, huh? See, it seems to me that if someone were actually here working on the fire alarms we could come up with something a little more concrete than "they". Like... "there are workers here working on the fire alarms". Something super-specific, ya know?

...are working on the fire alarms today...

Funny, because last time some punk kid(s) pulled the fire alarm three times in one day it was suddenly announced that our belovedly illusive "they" were here "working" on the fire alarms. So when it went off at 7:56, might this have been a preemptive strike against wannabes and copycats? Seems mighty coincidental... call me a conspiracy theorist, if you must.

...so do not leave if the alarms go off.

Oh, really? Well that's great. Because if there's a real fire, we should all just risk burning alive. I mean, I hate wasting class time- a very colorful sign at the front of my room proclaims "NOT A MOMENT TO WASTE"- but I also tend to value my life, and the lives of my students. Just a little, you know?

Click out. The end.

Oh, the lovely nerves-on-a-cheese-grater buzz before every announcement... wait for it...

Please do not leave if the alarms go off unless we tell you to.

Well, redemption has been found then, huh? I mean, it's cool. Lets just sit around as the fire alarms scream and sniff for smoke as we continue on with the lesson, because the students are SO able to pay attention. Plus, at the rate important information actually gets to teachers at my school, I'm SURE they'd let us know there was an actual fire before our lives were in mortal danger. Just like they always let us know ahead of time then there are mandatory meetings and stuff. Except for they don't. So nevermind about that.

1 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Darlaing said...

lol! I love your sarcasm. esp enjoy that you are incorporating "Never mind about that" into your vernacular

 

Post a Comment

<< Home