Cool is just how far we have to fall

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Stay- right here in the light- so that you won't walk away

[Stay, Jeremy Camp]

In case you're wondering, yes, those lyrics from the Jeremy Camp song in my title are where I got the name of my blog. When I started my first blog- nearly two years ago- I couldn't get the lyrics out of my head because they captured my heart.

Switching gears...

When I was in Boston for Spring Break last month, some of the natives I spent time with were shocked to hear that I was such a fan of the city (and the local sports teams :) ) yet had never seen Good Will Hunting. So I Netflixed it and I just watched it. As everyone promised, I loved it. On every level. The acting, the city (I have much love for Boston), the personal drama, the opening up of someone with a haunting past, the moving descriptions of true love- all of the above were amazing. I will buy this movie. The language was a little edgy, but it's kind of like how I feel about war movies- the language was real, just like the language in war movies is real.
Plus, because I am a female, at the end when he says [SPOILER HERE, so if you've never seen it but plan to then skip the next few lines] "I had to go see about a girl" put a smile on my face- and a little flutter in my heart; I'm a sap, so what?- (which was good, because when his buddies went to his empty house I totally saw it coming but it still made me cry). I can really relate to the Will character. My life wasn't quite as bad as a child and I'm certainly no genius anywhere near his level, but I can relate to being the hurting and messed up kid with talent and potential who needs to get out. Only, in my life Christ healed the past.

So... I am supposed to go to this big formal end-of-year shindig tonight in Raleigh, but I think I am going to stay home. I am sure 52 TF*A'ers are going to be like, "Where were you? We missed you!" and I'll feel a little bad, but I feel like I haven't had a day to myself in 98 years. Which is rough, since I am only 24. And a half.

The agenda, then, includes getting my grades done (I usually have them done every Friday so I can give out progress reports every Monday, but yesterday I forgot my jump drive at home, which is what I keep my grades on. I actually only have to enter them since everything's corrected.) and watching all ten hours of Band of Brothers. I plan to show some clips to my kids so I want to pick out the best ones. I own the set, so if I don't finish it all today I can watch the rest tomorrow.

That's me. Happy Saturday :)

1 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you for taking a day for yourself! I hope it's as excellent as expected :)

-Melissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home